Project by LATITUDO 40 s.r.l.
The object of the experiment, born from the collaboration between Torino City Lab and Techstar 2021 (acceleration program promoted in Turin thanks to the partner Intesa Sanpaolo Innovation Center), is the creation of a web tool that can provide indicators of urban sustainability by exploiting the enormous amount of data that can be extracted from satellite images. Testing will also show the flexibility of the company’s platform to capture data from external sources and process it as an input to its own algorithms.
The project proposal is innovative not only for the use of machine/deep learning techniques for earth observation data, but also for the multiple data fusion activities to provide access to a multidisciplinary information heritage on the city.
From a technological point of view, this project also aims to compare the information acquired with the drones in the previous experiences of Torino City Lab and those that can be provided from satellite images. The possibility of creating a digital twin of a few blocks or of the entire city, to monitor the accumulation of sediments along the Po and to study phenomena of subsidence through satellite images can be used as a first toolbox of supervision tools to be used for the daily maintenance of the city and especially after events intense weather. In order to better contextualize the activities of the experiment, the following use cases have been identified, through which the company will be able to validate the multiple use of technology in the different operating scenarios, with the aim of creating a tool that the city will have at its disposal to analyse what happened in the past, to obtain better future planning and to evaluate the results of any action taken towards a more sustainable city.
1. Flat roofs: improvement of the map of the City of Turin, including comparison with existing datasets (e.g. drone images, lidar flight, etc.)
2. Hive monitoring: changes in years
3. Forests: Hilly forest delimitation as required by legislation and analysis of the permeability of green areas and mapping of heat islands.
4. Detection of asbestos with hyperspectral images with the involvement of Arpa Piemonte
5. Ecosystem production and social services: Interest in carrying out analysis on the first Turin belt on the ecosystem services related to food production
/ Sito web: www.latitudo40.com
/ Contact : Gaetano Volpe - Latitudo 40 s.r.l.
Via Francesco Verrotti, 4 - 80128 Napoli